Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Patriots' Day Woes

My first encounter with Patriots' Day was on Monday, April 20, 2009.  Toward the end of the work day on this particular Monday I decided I desperately needed mint chocolate chip ice cream on a chocolate dipped waffle cone from Brigham's.  (Yes, my cravings are that specific).  I convinced a friend to sneak a break and walk down High Street with me to get my ice cream cone.  It was about 3:00 PM by the time we got there and the doors were closed with a sign that said "Brigham's will be closing early for Patriots' Day Monday, April 20."  I looked at my friend and said "Patriots' Day?!?!  There's no such thing.  Brigham's is making that up.  If that was a real holiday I would have the day off, too."  He assured me that Patriots' Day was a real thing with real historical significance blah, blah, blah.  I, however, was hearing none of it because all I could think of was my elusive ice cream cone and how jealous I was that the kids at Brigham's got to go home early while I was stuck at work for at least another hour.  I went home hungry, unhappy, and very much against the holiday.

My second encounter with Patriots' Day was on Monday, April 19, 2010.  The wounds were still open about the whole Brigham's ordeal and I was still pretty skeptical about it being a holiday since I was expected to be at work, but this year I was prepared for the nonsense.  My boss was running the Boston Marathon which meant in addition to running the joint, I was also the designated "How's she doing so far?" lady.  She had been training for the marathon for 5-6 months and I had slowly become jealous of her ability to run 26.2 miles while I occasionally ran out of breath on the ride up the elevator.  After following her training and seeing her after the race, I decided I wanted to run a marathon.  And do it faster than her.

So this is my year, folks!  Patriots' Day 2011 is the day where all previous Patriots' Day experiences are forgiven.  I am on the Running for Cover Marathon Team for the Melanoma Foundation of New England.  Cancer, including Melanoma, has affected all of us in one way or another.  Many members of my family have been diagnosed with all different types of cancer, some of whom have been lost to the battle.  Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer, but if detected early can be cured.  Research has also shown that Melanoma can be prevented by reducing the amount of exposure to ultraviolet rays.  In my opinion, there is no better reason to run 26.2 miles than to help the Melanoma Foundation of New England educate the public about the prevention and detection of Melanoma and other forms of skin cancer.  Please help me raise my goal of $3250 for this great program!

Donate on my First Giving page, www.firstgiving.com/allisonsilletto.  I appreciate all of your help and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment