Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Back in the Saddle

It's about that time.  We are officially 13 training weeks away from the Bourbon Chase in Lexington, KY.  Our team is manned up and ready so now it's time to get back in the habit of running.  I wanted to wait until the nice, cool weather went away and the heat of the summer came to actually start training again.  That seemed to make the most sense to me.

In an effort to make our lives more training-ready, Micah and I signed up for a CSA - Farmer Dave's to be exact.  This is our first year purchasing a CSA and even though we've only gotten one delivery, I'm pleased so far.  This week we received bok choy, spinach, lettuce, green onion, garlic scape, rhubarb, pea pods, and radishes.  It was so nice to have fresh produce in the house without having to do any work to get it.  When we  go to the grocery store, we usually buy the boring veggies and a bunch of meat and potatoes (when I say "we" I actually mean Micah - this is his contribution to the family as there is nothing I hate more than the grocery store).  A typical shopping trip would not leave us with things like rhubarb.  As I unpacked our CSA treasure on Wednesday and saw the rhubarb I immediately thought strawberry-rhubarb pie.  Not exactly part of my training diet, but a made-from-scratch pie is good for the soul.  That is scientific fact.  Trust me, I found it on Answers.com

Here's my pie, step-by-step:


 

Yes, it is as good as it looks.  But hopefully this CSA will end up being more helpful when making wholesome, healthy meals.  Weekly pies may not be such a good thing for the running...although I could probably get used to it.

1 comment: