Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My first run post-Ada


Your first run after a long break can be a great feeling.  Since running walking plodding through the Spring Chicago Half Marathon in May 2014, I haven't done much of anything (except, you know, have a baby).  Last month, I started doing Jillian Michael's "Beginner Shred"  which has been a great maternity-leave workout .  But it's nothing like actually hitting the pavement.  Now that I am back to work (shed single tear here), the one silver lining is that I can take a break and run during the day.

The other day, the weather was perfect and the timing was right.  I decided that it was the day to lace up my running shoes and hit the first mile of my 2015 running goal (which has yet to be determined).  I was so excited about getting outside that I decided to take Sota with me.  Between the baby and the weather, she has missed out on quite a few walks and was eager to join me.

In all my excitement, however, I failed to realize the challenges I was up against.

Challenge #1:  Sidewalks
I live in Southern Indiana and last week we got around 8 inches of snow.  I will admit, for this area, 8 inches is a lot.  I don't mind that it took a day or two to get the roads plowed.  I don't have kids in school, so school closings didn't affect me at all.  I do mind that only about 3 people on my entire street shoveled their sidewalks.  FYI, when it snows you are required to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house.  Yes, it is inconvenient.  But so is having to jump over ice banks because your neighbor is too lazy to go outside and shovel for 30 minutes.

Do I sound harsh?  I'm sorry.  But let me put this into perspective for you...in February, Boston was hit with one of its worst blizzards in history.  People were jumping off their second-story roof to get to their front door. Right after digging themselves out of their homes, THEY SHOVELED THEIR SIDEWALKS.  Snow banks might be over their heads, but Bostonian's walks are clearer than ours.  Doesn't this seem wrong to you?

Snow banks of a foot or more line sidewalks throughout the Boston area, forcing more pedestrians to walk in the street. (Flickr)
Boston sidewalks after blizzard.
Challenge #2:  Sota
So, I mentioned Sota has missed some walks the past few months.  I recognize that and take full responsibility.  What I failed to remember was that every yard in the neighborhood is actually hers.  Not everyone respects her territory as much as I do, so it's important for her to reclaim her land after long absences.  This means lots of stopping.  With absolutely no notice.


You would think after 9 years of having this beast, I would know better. I should have named her Muttley.

Despite my neighbors and my dog being against me, I had a pretty decent run.  To celebrate, I ate four cupcakes and a bag Doritos.  Job well done, Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment